Your best bet would be to get HMS's mail server working (localhost).

Could you be more specific on why that didn't work to begin with?

Look in the mail.log file in <coldfusionroot>/logs/mail.log to see what
error is happening when CF attempts to send the mail.

Does HMS require authentication when using their mail server.  Localhost
would assume that an smtp server was listening that the same server CF
is installed on.  I'm kind of surprised they don't use a separate mail
server.  Do they have SMTP running on every single one of their CF
servers?

Also, what if you simply leave the server attribute off of the cfmail
tag.  Then it will default to what is in CF Administrator.

As far as the relay, if the external mail server has relay set to allow
requests from certain IP's (which isn't the smartest thing in the world,
since IP's can be spoofed to my knowledge) they would need the IP
address of the HMS server which would be sending the mail.  Depending on
how HMS's network is set up, that might the actual CF box, or their
firewall.

You said "HMS says they don't have a relay to give me." I don't know
what you really mean by that since the external mail server
(smtp.company.com) would be the one "relaying" the mail.  The only
problem HMS site might introduce is if their firewall blocked outgoing
traffic on port 25 but I doubt that.

Hope that helps.

~Brad