On 9/13/07, Dave Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What's weird is this happens on three different VMWare
> > machines running on the same server as the db (this is in a
> > dev environment). I do know that the host machine, which also
> > runs the db, was upgraded to
> > SP2 for Windows 2003 server. Other CF boxes (eg developer
> > machines) and MSSQL tools can connect fine, but not any of
> > the virtual machines.
>
> Can you connect to any other service on the host machine from the VM?

Ironically there were few other easy-to-test services on the host. I
can't connect to the web server on it, nor can I connect from the host
to the web server on the guest machines.

 Can
> you see the database port as open from the VM using telnet or a port
> scanner?

On the list to check -- it seems like it's a problem with TCP traffic
from the host to the client since ICMP (eg ping) and netbios work. I
also can't connect to shares on the host, but can connect to shares on
the NAS....

>Which virtual network adapter are you using, vlance or vmxnet?

Bridged networking using vmxnet (2.0.0.5 is the version). All of that
information on all the machines looks correct and the router shows the
MAC addresses all match the IPs/leases.

Can
> you connect to services on other VMs or physical servers from the affected
> VMs?

I can connect to the web servers from one vm to another, but not from
host to vm or vm to host.

>What does your vmware.log file have to say?

The debugging log has been pretty useless -- nothing network-related
with errors, even when debug logging is turned on.

Thanks for the reality check -- I'm a *longtime* VMWare user and have
to say this is puzzling (for the record, it's VMWare Server 1.0.3)

--
John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint