Not sure if your DB supports this but with Oracle I can select the
columns from the table..
select column_name
from user_tab_columns
where table_name = 'MY_TABLE'
Granted this would require 2 trips to the database, 1 to get the
column names, then check to see if your sortby variable is in that
list, then another to actually query the table.