Thanks again Mike.  I think the problem has to be
something to do with other
non-cfform code. Perhaps some other javascript issue
in my code.  I have no
idea what or where to look, but here is why I think
this:

What I am finding is that if I directly open the
contents of my iFrame from
a regular web browser everything works fine--the
cfgrid displays immediately
with no problems again and again... and when I try to
display the grid in an
iFrame it only works when the page is reloaded--the
first time it loads, no
go. If I right click and choose refresh, there is my
grid.  The data and
everything is exactly the same.  Using CFDEBUG when it
loads or does not
load, I can't see any difference in the data.  Things
are where I expect
them to be and I can see the results of my query.  I
have also tried
reducing my cfgrid to just one column where the query
result is just an
integer value, and I still get the same results.