A single lookup table should work fine for this.  I don't see a need to
create a different table for each lookup.  Field structure

ID (int, indexed)
ItemType (varchar 25, indexed)
ItemStored (char3)
ItemDisplay(varchar 25)

The field lengths above are not set in stone, and I am assuming your profile
table does not have any one-to-many relationships with the drop-down data
(there's only oging to be one marital status per individual profiled, for
example).  Data would be stored in the profile table in individual dedicated
fields.  I don't see a reason to have a foreign key in the lookup table.  To
edit all lookups you can develop a simple data grid that dumps them all out,
sorted, or get fancy and make one data grid per field name.  Drop-down
display results from a simple select statement with one filter for itemtype.

ItemType gets the form field name, perhaps.  ItemStored is what is put into
the db and ItemDisplay is what is visible to the user in the drop-down.

I suppose if you were a fanatic about data normalization you would create a
table for 'lookups' and have it contain only ID and ItemType.  Then your
lookup table has an indexed ParentID field (foreign key) replacing the
ItemType field.  Not something I would do unless I was trying to impress a
professor in a class project.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Janitor, The Robertson Team