There's a lot that goes into it, that someone who's a network admin may be
able to explain better but....

You may have a dedicated "virtual server" which uses something like VMWare
to create virtual boxes, isolated instances of the operating system, on the
same machine. Each network card can support up to 5 ip's and the physical
box can support up to 5 network cards (this is all according to Micro$oft,
Linux may be different.

There's a ceiling on how many virtual instances you can create based on the
amount of memory in the box. As this ceiling gets close performance can
degrade.

Hope this helps

--
Scott Stewart