I am looking into a session hijacking problem, where the session that
was hijacked had an empty cfid and cftoken, and was surprised by the
following scenario I tested.

User 1: log into the Web site.
User 1: using Firefox, examine the cookies and modify the cfid and
cftoken values to be blank

When I refresh the page, I am still logged into the site. Back in the
CF5 and possibly CFMX6 days, CF would have thrown an error since an
empty session would not be found when CF tried to obtain the values
for the blank identifier. An alternative behavior would be to
recognize that the session wasn't valid and kick the person back to an
error page or a login page. However, when I tried this in CF8 and
CFMX7, the session remains valid and seems to get remapped to a blank
cfid and blank token. The user can navigate through the entire site
with a blank cfid and token for the entire session.

User 2: If I use another browser and go to /page.cfm?cfid=&cftoken=,
then I am allowed to bypass the login page and I effectively hijack
that other user's session.

I seem to remember that ColdFusion MX 7 addressed a problem with using
StructClear(session). My hunch is that this unexpected behavior might
relate to that change.

To be clear, I am well aware how session hijacking works. The surprise
to me is that an empty cfid and cftoken is considered to map to a
valid session and I am trying to understand, from a technical
standpoint, why an empty token is working. I have reproduced this
behavior in CFMX7 and CF8.

Thanks,
Mike Chabot