What I have done in the past is to setup a table in my database called
Queue that had basically this structure

emailID
From
Fail-to
Subject
textBody
HTMLBody
threadID
dateSent

I write to that table, which is dramatically faster then a cfmail,
then just have a scheduled task that starts out by creating a theadID
UUID pulling from the database a set of emails, say 1000, stamping
them with the UUID and then as they get sent just stamp the dateSent.

This way if for some reason something dies you can go back and "clean
up" anything that uas a UUID but no dateSent.

The next processed scheduled task comes along pulls anything that
doesn't have a threadID stamped in the field and doesn't step on
anyones toes.

J.J.