Sean Corfield (www.corfield.org) has a custom tag that uses a
Java-based PHP implementation (can't remember the name) to allow
execution of inline PHP code from CF templates.  I don't know if they
implement the pack() function, but I'd think it likely.  If they do,
you could use that to get your pack() function in CF, though it's
using a wrecking ball to pound in a finishing nail.

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert