I do not think it has anything to do with the database or ODBC, because you can
replicate the problem by building a query in ColdFusion.  Check out this code:

<cfscript>
        q = QueryNew("c1");
        iRow = QueryAddRow(q);
        QuerySetCell(q,"c1",Val("5"),iRow);
</cfscript>

<cfloop query="q">
        <cfparam name="c1" type="numeric" default="-1">
</cfloop>

The mere fact that the isNumeric function returns true but then the <cfparam>
tag does not recognize the very same variable as numeric seems to be a bug.
You would think the two operations would share the same logic.  Has anyone
reported this to Adobe?  Does anyone know if this problem exists in newer
versions of ColdFusion?

Nate