Yes this was a nice trick, I plugged it into a local
table and found I could even go 1 step further and
Nest the groups. Thanks for the tip!
Here is my nested group clip:

 <cfquery datasource="DB1" name="test">
 select DISTINCT department, wonum, sublocation1
 from woeqlist
 WHERE DEPARTMENT <> ''
 and location <> 'RMRS'
 order by department, sublocation1, wonum
</cfquery>

 <cfoutput query="test" group="department">
         <cfoutput group="sublocation1">
            <b>
                <cfoutput>
                #wonum# </cfoutput>     <br>