What I ended up doing is using cookies and storing the email in a table.
We decided to use email verification and allow multiple votes but only one vote
each day. So we can control the amount of votes by a single user each day
and fake, made up emails still have to verified via email. If an email isn't
verified, then the vote won't be counted.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  What a great group!