You would need liscenses for any of the os' you put on your system that
require them.  Now correct me if I am wrong, but when you are rtunnign
vmware, your are creating multiple concurrently running virtual machines...

The way they would be interfaced would be via their respective ip addresses

The best way to prevent having to build from the groud up is once you have
your system built with everything installed, ghost it (or some similar
backup software) so that if that ever happens again...all you have to do is
restore it.  You could even go as far as createing a ghost image on a
regular basis so that you have a current image of your machine to restore
back to.

As far as how VMWare is set up(I have never set it up before, so I am
guessing here)...I am assuming you are generally a windows user and your
desktop has XP on it and your production environment is some flavor of linux
or unix.  What you would do is once you set up vmware, I would assume that
the underlying OS is still there, so that would be what you would use.  Then
you have a VMWare instance running linux.  This instance has an ip address
assigned to it.  In your hosts file, you set up dev.faircloth.com to that
local ip that was assigned to the VmWare instance and that would be how you
access it.  As far as subversion is concerned...that should just be a
checked out version of the repository and SVN would look at it as just
another computer.  I would look at the VMWare instance as more of a test
site and windows as the dev site.  You would develop locally(you could have
a copy of CF on your windows instance or just upload to to the linux
instanmce to test) and then upload to the test box.  You would test what you
just developed on the VMWare instance since that mirrors, including OS, your
production site and environment.

Eric