From: Paul Vernon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:00 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CF Coding Standards / "validation"

> I am of the opinion that all warnings in a program (java, for example)

> should be tracked down and eliminated, even if the "fix" is just to
> disable the warning on the one method/line that is complaining
> (because it is "right"), but every one of them should be examined.
> For ever 100 warnings I get rid of (in a large java program, say) I
> might find one bug waiting to happen, and that one bug is worth
fixing.

I agree completely here and it is an ethos that has been drilled into me
for years and years. After I left University, my first job entailed
working on a massive Delphi application consisting of a client, server
and a planning engine all on top of an Oracle database. Customers would
complain about the instability of the client software and when I first
compiled it, I knew why... over 4000 hints and 2000 warnings! Needless
to say, I raised this and was given permission to investigate and reduce
the number of hints and warnings. It took a couple of months to do but
every time I committed changes, there was a marked improvement in
stability. In the end, the compiler was reporting around 100 hints and
no warnings... There were no complaints of instability after we achieved
that.

On a CF front, to check my CFCs for vars that aren't declared, I use
varscoper.

http://www.schierberl.com/cfblog/index.cfm/2007/10/7/varScoper-11--now-w
ith-
cfscript-parsing

In fact, in writing this e-mail, I've just realised that 3 days ago, it
was updated so it should be even better than before... Downloading it
now :-)

The other thing I tend to do is make use of cfcompile on a command
prompt to detect any coding errors that may be lying in wait for me.
Used In combination with varscoper, it makes for very reliable CFC
coding.

Paul