Jim Rising wrote:
> back in the days prior to Unicode, these symbol language characters would
> take 2 bytes to represent. there even used to be a system called 'DBCS'
> (Double Byte Character System) where some letters were stored in 1 byte,
> others were stored in 2 bytes.

i know what dbcs means & there's never been a single so-called "Double Byte
Character System". pre-unicode was almost *20* years ago. japanese had a butt
load of encodings that are single, double & multi-byte ("still has" i guess
would be correct). ditto for chinese. "ancient" cyrillic (KOI-8) was a single
byte as was pretty much any language that could fit on a windows (or DOS)
codepage like thai & arabic.

in any case, leaving out codepage nonsense, none of these languages have been
anything but multi-byte for at least 10 years. the term dbcs is misleading & we
should all stop using it.