Hi Jessica,
   What I'm about to say isn't CF-specific, but it true for all web apps.
   Simply testing the application on a server does not indicate that it's going
to run fine in a production environment.  The fact that you know of a large
amount of variables indicates that you already know that there's a basic
problem in the application.
   Additionally, consider that you're running this in a hosting space with
other applications that are also consuming resources.  If you use too many
objects and/or objects that are "pinned" in memory, you will quickly run out of
memory space on the heap.
   Keep in mind, there's no "fix my problem" registry key for everything.  You
have a basic memory leak problem, and the resolution is to fix the code that
causing the memory leak.

- Matt Small