> I have just received a new project that requires very
> sensitive information about assault victims to be stored in a
> sql 2k database.  I have already gotten the SSL up and
> running but can anyone give me some ideas has to how you
> might securely store/encrypt that information in the
> database, such as full names, ssn's, addresses, etc.

This is a very complicated question, and any answers you get here are bound
to be less than complete.

Basically, though, the answers will depend on your threat profile.
Specifically, what are the specific security problems that you're worried
about?

If you're worried about people from the outside getting access to this data,
you will be concerned about encryption from within your application server,
and key management within your application server. You can encrypt values
from within CF and store them within the database, but your application
server would presumably require the ability to decrypt those values later,
so you'd need to store the key(s) used to encrypt and decrypt values within
your application server code. Someone who compromises your server may be
able to acquire those keys and decrypt values. One potential solution to
this would be to have separate environments for encrypting and decrypting
values - for example, you might accept values from a public server, which
could have an encryption key, but you might limit viewing those encrypted
records to a completely separate server, which would possess the decryption
key. That would obviously require separate keys for both
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key)

If you're worried about people within your organization getting access to
this data, you will be concerned about limiting and segmenting
administrative access to application server code and databases. You may also
be concerned about encrypting network traffic between your application and
database servers.

Of course, everybody's concerned with the former at the expense of the
latter, even though most security incidents involve your own employees
rather than some big bad hacker.

> I am using CF 6.1

You won't want to rely on CF 6.1's built-in encryption functionality, then.
CF7 or higher include industry-standard encryption functionality.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/