Hi there

Is there anything simpler than that.

Hi there

I’m in the process of finalising the developing an application to handle
personal training sessions at a gym – basically there are 6 or more personal
trainers who each have more than 60 clients that they work with for ½ hour up
to 2 hour sessions.  A person at the front desk manages their bookings.

Basically I’m developing a system for the gym to enable the person at the
front desk to enter details of bookings etc.  These details will once entered
into the system will be in one of 3 states.

1.      Waiting bookings
2.      Bookings in process
3.      Completed bookings

On the front screen of the application I’m planning on displaying – current
bookings in process and underneath that waiting bookings.

E.G.
Sessions in Progress
Trainer   Room    Start   Finish    Remaining Time    OverTime           Manage
Sandra    1     05:09 PM 06:09 PM   Time has Passed 5 Minutes(s)          Edit

E.G.
Waiting Bookings
Trainer   Room    Start   Finish    Remaining Time    OverTime           Manage
Rob        1     06:00 PM 07:00 PM  Waiting              N/A              Edit

I was initially thinking once the Edit link was clicked open up a pop-up window
to let the user edit the record.  Is there a better way so basically the user
can just click a button and then by clicking on that button the status would be
changed.

Another couple of points – I have set the page to refresh every 60 seconds so
that way it will be easy for reception to quickly determine how long is
remaining in any given session.

The question I have relates to the following:

Take the bottom part of the screen (bookings made but the session has not yet
started).  These will be displayed.  I would like to somehow give the user a
simple way to start a booking.  I was thinking of letting the user click on the
little Edit link under manage and open a pop-up window to edit the record and
change the status from waiting to session started.

And similarly I would like to make it easy for a person to be able to click a
button to indicate that a current booking has been completed – i.e. click on
a button then  it would change the status from current to complete.

Just wondering what would be the simplest yet effective implementation.  I was
thinking of using AJAX but at this stage I haven’t used AJAX previously so
not too sure about it.

The idea of opening up a pop-up window and letting a user edit the record would
work but it seems a little cumbersome and not really that user friendly.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.