Lots of questions here.

First off - when you run cfindex, don't forget the STATUS attribute.
It lets you return a struct and that includes information about how
many things it added, edited, or removed from the collection.
Secondly - Verity does indeed support MS Word. You can find the
complete list of binary files in the docs.
Thirdly - you have to be careful with scheduled tasks, no matter what
is in there. You want to ensure you do some kind of logging to ensure
you know what happened when the scheduled task to run.