Ben Forta wrote a post back in May that covers the basics of how to do
this with CF 8:

http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm/2007/5/31/ColdFusion-Ajax-Tutorial-2-Related-Selects

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com