What version of ColdFusion are you running.  There is a special connector that
you may ahve to install to enable you to connect to a MySQL database.

It is the mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.21-win32 available form the MySQL website.

Download it and instal and then you also have to place a copy in a folder in
CF, the lib folder but you better check on that one.

Hope that helps a little.