Richard,

A couple of notes may be of reference to you since I "just" installed cf8
standard trial edition on an XP box with an existing cf4.5 supporting a
"simple" app and yes they now seem to live happily together using the same IIS
5 web server.
a) be very careful about various firewall/anti-viruus software, disabling them
does not necessarily mean some of their functions won't still reside in memory
(hence the ghost is still there... I for one overlooked that)
b) become comfortable with the fact that cf8 documentation is not bad when you
look at it piece by piece, however, such several generations old documentation
approach leaves much much room for agony
c) jrun.xml, adminconfig.xml are your friends (I wish I had that knowledge
before I got started this time, have not touched cf for quite some time...)
d) the usual suspects of log files...
e) last but not least, if things do not go as you reasonably expect do not
curse, be unlike me :) for instance, you did not expect it to be a Hoculean
project but it may very well turn out to be one.

Good luck.

Don