Putting the result in the application scope is a good idea.  Just do something
like:

<cfif NOT structKeyExists(application,"myRSSdata") OR NOT
structKeyExists(application,"myRSSdataTimestamp" OR Now() GT
dateAdd("h",3,application.MyRSSdataTimestamp)>
 <cfhttp result="application.myRSSdata" />
 <cfset application.myRSSdataTimestamp = now() />
</cfif>

Then refer elsewhere in your code to application.myRSSdata rather than
cfhttp.filecontent or whatever you were using for a result variable.