Rob,

I have a couple of tips on my blog about PDFs and optimization. Recall that
CF is doing HTTP "get" type requests for the resources it needs - so when
you include images it has to create HTTP request to retrieve each of them.
One work around is to use the  file://  type syntax to map to the images on
the hard drive. This allows the PDF generater to pull them off of the disk
rather than generating an HTTP request. Your images themselves need to be
optimized and "pre-sized". We have found PNG files work a bit better than
other image types.  These posts might be helpful:
http://mkruger.cfwebtools.com/index.cfm/2006/2/16/cfdocument.performance

http://www.coldfusionmuse.com/index.cfm/2006/5/29/cfdocument.ssl (look in
the comments for that "file" syntax... It requires escaping some slashes I
believe.. ) .

Good luck.

-Mark

Mark A. Kruger, CFG, MCSE