Richard White wrote:
> therefore does this mean that i should setlocale() to english UK. then when i
> am getting a date out of the database i use: lsdateformat(date, 'dd/mm/yyyy')

i would recommend using one of the java terms FULL,LONG,MEDIUM,SHORT instead.
these guarantee the proper localized date format if you ever have to support
other locales.

>  then when saving to the database i need to use
> lsdateformat(date,'yyyy/mm/dd')?

as others have said, you shouldn't be passing date strings to your db, use a cf
datetime object instead.

> if i am write on this can i set the locale in the application.cfm page as we
> dont have access to the cf administrator on our server? is so could you

yes.

> please give an example and i cant find how to do it? and would it matter that
> our server is a host in the US - would it override their locale?

no, only the request that pulls in your application.cfm.

> then like i said do i always have to use the lsdateformat instead of
> dateformat

yes if you want properly formatted dates for your locale.