Can we see your locking code?

Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave
Sent: 17 December 2007 22:03
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Exclusive locks still producing duplicate values

We have have an issue here that I thought I had solved via locking and
transactions, but it appears that the issue still exists.

Basically, our clients go through an order entry process that produces a
numbered requisition.  The number is based upon a value that is stored in
the database for each client.  Multiple users of the same client can
obviously place orders simultaneously all drawing their base number from the
same location.  The section of code that actually creates the req number and
stores the data is run within a serialized transaction that sits within an
exclusive named lock.  If I'm understanding locking correctly, the exclusive
named lock should prevent any other execution of that same code within the
same application.  The serialized transaction should restrict access to the
tables required to that single transaction, again if I'm understanding it
correctly.

The requisition number is actually created in a function invoked within this
lock/transaction block so it should be restricted from use until the lock is
released.  The problem is that we still seem to be getting duplicate
requisition numbers generated through this process.  There are several ways
to reach the point of creating the order, but the final order build is all
processed through this code.

There must be something that I am missing, but I can't for the life of me
see what it is.  Any help is appreciated.

TYIA
David Phelan