> I thought cfparam only assigns the default value if the
> variable doesn't exist but here it executes it every time.

I would recommend that you not use CFPARAM in this case. First, there have
been similar problems with CFPARAM creating complex objects in the past.
Second, and perhaps more importantly, there's significantly more overhead in
checking for the existence of each of these objects in the Application scope
before creating them, compared to checking for the existence of just one
(or, even better, avoiding the need to check for any by placing the creation
code in your onApplicationStart method).

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/