Ok.... So "compression" is the best measure of quality?

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Matthews [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:24 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Manipulate the DPI with cfimage?

Mark...

You're also confusing image quality (compression) with DPI (or pixel
dimensions). At it's heart, a bitmapped (or raster) image, is simply a
series of 1 pixels blocks with specific color assignments. An image doesn't
know what quality (compression) it is. It also doesn't know what resolution
it is. The only thing an image knows about itself, is how many pixels it is
comprised of, and what specific color each of those pixels are.

I think Claude's usage of the term "density" is an excellent choice. DPI
simply indicates how many pixels are crammed into your unit of measure. If
you REALLY want to start bending your head you'd start talking LPI (lines
per inch), or linescreen. That's usually a better measure of print quality
than is DPI.

Bit depth simply refers to the total number of colors available to an image.