Pete,

I wrote a blog post a while back with a way to do this:

http://jeremiahx.com/2007/08/12/how-to-email-bounce-management/

Basically you put an ID of your user inside of the failto so it would be

failto="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Create a catchall on the bounces.mydomain.com domain and then parse
the email address. This way you know exactly who the user is in your
database just in case the email is forwarded and the bounce message
you get back contains an email address that is not in your database.

J.J.