From: Charlie Griefer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:11 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SOT sql question

On Jan 9, 2008 8:56 AM, Mark Fuqua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think I need to be using 'IN' within my WHERE clause but I can't seem to
> get it to work.  I have a column with a comma delimited list.  This is the
> latest attempt and it craps out too.
>
> SELECT..
> ...WHERE JobFileJob = #session.jobId# AND  '#session.UserRole#' IN
> (JobFileAccessLevel)
>
> JobFileAccessLevel is a field in the database table that contains a comma
> delimited list of access levels.

you're doing it backwards :)

SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE foobar IN (a,b,c,d)

says "give me records where the value of foobar is either a OR b OR c
Or d.  "IN", is a shorthand way of writing out a number of OR
statements.

it'd be wrong of me to not state here that generally speaking, storing
comma delimited values in a relational database table is (again,
generally) not a good idea and defeats the purpose of a relational
database.  those values should (likely) be broken out into a new table
as individual rows (with an ID column having a FK relationship back to
the original table).

--
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed
of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a