Coldfusion Monkey wrote:
> I have a high traffic site that needs to only lookup the country from the
> user ip address. I checked out the hostip.info service and its great as i can
> post cfhttp requests and parse through the response. Just wondering if you
> guys are aware of any negatives in using this service like updates to db,
> uptime,speed etc.

if this is critical info, not sure i'd trust cfhttp calls to get it.

this is probably faster because its ip-country db is run locally:

http://www.sustainablegis.com/projects/geoLocator/

but it's not updated as frequently as other ip lookups. you should also use
mark
mandel's nifty javaloader to get around shared hosts limitations on server
classpaths as well as ease jar updates.

another approach would be to host the ip-country data in your own db. brandon
purcell has a blog article on this:

http://www.bpurcell.org/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=1078

but looks like he later abandoned this approach to also use a local jar file
from maxmind (also recommend using javaLoader for this approach):

http://www.bpurcell.org/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=1099
http://www.bpurcell.org/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=1100