From: Nathan C. Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:00 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: insert/retrieve image into database SQL Server 2005/CF8?

Hi,

I'm trying to insert an Image into MS SQL Server 2005 database using CF 8.
I started to work with the SQL Server 'Image' data type but I'm not sure
this data type is the best/correct choice.

Somebody has probably done this before, so what data-type should/could I use
in SQL Server - The choices include Image, binary, varbinary, and
varbinary(max).  Should I be using the new image tags or resorting to older
methods to achieve the path of least resistance?

Here is a sample of what I am working on, here I am just trying to read a
file and place it in the database....

<cffile action="READBINARY" variable="ThisPicture"
file="/var/www/images/staffpics/#staffID#.jpg">
                <cfset myImage=ImageNew(ThisPicture)>
                <cfquery name="qryinsertImage" datasource="#CMSDSN#">
                        Update tblStaff
                        Set staffphoto = <cfqueryparam
value="#ImageGetBlob(myImage)#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_blob">
                        Where StaffID = #staffID#;
                </cfquery>
        <!--- write out the image: check to make sure something works.  --->
<cfimage action="WRITETOBROWSER" source="#myImage#"><br>

I'm getting
        "The source file should contain an extension, so that ColdFusion can
determine the image format.  Verify your inputs. The source file should
contain an extension, so that ColdFusion can determine the image format."
as an error.  It isn't clear, at least to me, where I can be more specific
about setting the image format - is this an error from SQL server?  The
manual says "If you do not specify a source image, an "unknown source image
format" error is generated", am I not pointing to my variable correctly?
The examples in the manual show an insert statement and I am trying to do an
update, is my query syntax messed up?

My next question is obviously about getting the images out of the DB, so if
there are any tricks to that, please feel free to elaborate.

Many thanks,

-Nate