> > out of interest what is the difference in using the
> > cfqueryparam and not?
>
> Well, the biggest reason is that it provides significant
> protection against SQL injection attacks. It basically does
> in-line data validation.

Ben (and everyone else who's posted) is right that you should use this. It's
worth pointing out, though, that Ben has listed two different things above,
and those things are separate. CFQUERYPARAM separates data values from
executable SQL code, and that's how it prevents SQL injection attacks. This
isn't "significant protection", it's complete protection. By separating data
values from executable code, you are clearly telling the database that data
values cannot be executed, so it doesn't matter whether they contain SQL
commands - they simply won't be executed.

Almost as a side effect, you get data validation before you send your data
to the database.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/