> > a client has asked me to do a web version of MYOB....

I would advise you to stay very far away from this unless you are very, very
familiar with what you are getting into.

>From my perspective, if a things not worth doing well, it's not worth doing.
And doing that well is a job in the neighbourhood of hundreds of thousands
of dollars.

Small accounting packages like Peachtree and SimplyAccounting often provide
ways to export and expose their data to ODBC, but it is a one-way process.
They never handle data coming back into the database, because all of their
logic is written into the application itself, and not into the database.

This means that if you are pushing data into the database, without knowing
exactly what their application logic is, one mistake and everything stops
working.  And not only that, your chances of figuring it out are basically
nil.

John