>>it seems to me that lsdateformat function takes an english uk
formated date (dd/mm/yyyy)

More precisely, I would say it takes a date in the default locale
format, or the locale previously defined by setLocale()
If your server is English, then yes, you are right.
For servers un US, it will take an American date.

 >>and it seems that the dateformat function takes a USA formated date
(mm/dd/yyyy)

Yes, if the date is a legal date, otherwise it will try in English (or
Eurpean format)

 >>i thought that with the lsdateformat i could pass it any formated
date and it would format it into dd/mm/yyyy format

This is right, if you really pass a date, ie Now(), but "25/01/2008" is
NOT a date, it's a string.
So the string has to be converted first, and this is where trouble start.

--
REUSE CODE! Use custom tags;