It's not free, it's a third party system not installable code and it's
not ColdFusion - and with that, I guess totally inappropriate for this
list - but I have never found a better newsletter system than
MailBuild.com :)

There are so many risks associated with running newsletters out of
your own server - ask anyone who's ever ended up with their IP on the
SORBS list for no good reason, for example - that I wouldn't even
consider doing that these days.

In summary, it's a system designed for web development companies to
onsell to their customers (optionally taking a cut of the per-campaign
and per-delivery costs) with awesome templating customisations and
kick arse marketing-department friendly stats. And they are very
careful about spam, because their business hinges on getting mail
delivered.

I just realised that sounds like a sales pitch, but I'm just a happy customer :)