*always* validate on the server.

if you want to run some stuff on the client, that's fine... but
especially if you're talking about data... don't let the integrity of
your data rest on something you can't control (client side
validation).

easy enough to remove those non-numeric characters via cf on the server as well.

rereplace(myData, '[^0-9/.]', '', 'all')