> That would require a classroom with powerful enough computers
> that can run CF.  That's a pretty large investment.  I know
> in my university, all the students have laptops, so it would
> be a lot easier to have a shared server and have all of the
> students put their work there.

CF will run just fine on any laptop made in the last few years. I'm able to
run CF on my laptop, which has a Core Solo processor, 1 GB of RAM, and
Vista.

> It would also teach them more about what goes on in the real
> world ...

In the real world, people buy CF licenses. One CF Standard license would be
sufficient if you really needed a shared server. I'm not sure what the EDU
pricing is for that, but I imagine it's not too expensive - it'll probably
be cheaper than the dedicated server hardware needed.

> ... as most developers develop straight on the server, and
> a lot of times straight on the productions server.

Because people develop on production servers? That's a lousy justification
for classroom setup.

> Having each student install CF and IIS or apache on their own
> PC might be a bit of a pain, and laptops in general are not
> very good choice for running CF servers, although I know some
> people are doing it, including me.

You don't need a separate web server for development. It's very easy to
install CF using the built-in web server.

> Those who are just taking this as a class, might not appreciate
> their laptop slowing down because of CF though.

They could easily be taught how to manually start and stop services, I
think.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Training: Adobe/Google/Paperthin Certified Partners
http://training.figleaf.com/

WebManiacs 2008: the ultimate conference for CF/Flex/AIR developers!
http://www.webmaniacsconference.com/