mod_rewrite is a drop in a bucket compared to the ocean of a JEE
stack, let alone one with CF on it.

Using .htaccess is going to be more of a performance penalty, because
of all the extra per-request file IO.  Unless you have a compelling
reason (like shared hosting), you should put all your config in the
main config files.  If you want to version your rewriting config with
your app (usually what you want), then use an Include directive
instead of .htaccess.

I've used hundrends (maybe thousands?) of rewrite rules with no issue
and used rewrite maps with thousands of entries, both with no
discernible performance penalty.  Rewriting queries still provided the
best bang for your buck speeding things up.

cheers,
barneyb