If you're dead set on encryption, I have some code that will handle
gpg encryption via a java wrapper in coldfusion, however I'd refer you
to previous comments about the necessities of shared keys etc etc.

All in all I think you'd be better off just adding some logic to your
application forcing a reset of the password when the user first logs
in.  IE when a password is generated, put a flag against the user
record and have your code force them to change their password before
they can proceed.  This way emailing them a cleartext password doesn't
make any difference because they're then changing it immediately (and
you can use a one way encryption to store the password in the db.
Look on cflib for the MD5 function or check out cf8's encryption
routines).

Toby