Becky McDermott wrote:
> I have read that because of security, web applications can't access client
> files.  Are there any solutions other than storing the files on the web
> server?

And you have read correctly.  Just take a moment to imagine the havoc if
I could write a web application that could root around your file system
for any interesting sounding files every time you visited my popular web
site?

IF the client and server are on the same well defined, internal network.

IF your organization is willing to open the client's file system to
inspection by users of the network domain.

IF you configure your ColdFusion to run as a user of the domain with the
required permissions to see the client machine and its file system.

You can use <cfdirectory...> and <cffile...> tags with UNC paths to
access network resources outside of the server's system.

I.E.  <cfdirectory name="clientSpy"
direcory="\\clientName\c$\windows\system32\">

Hmmm I wonder what I could find there?