Exactly - simple elegance generally always wins out over complexity.

I would suggest:

+) Keep it simple.  Seriously consider when you should use graphics (words
are better than icons in many cases) and fancy layouts (broad, simple
layouts are better than complex, cramped layout in most cases).  Whenever
you're going to add something ask the question: do I need this?

Keep your resource count LOW.  Two, maybe three, fonts are all anybody
needs.  Choose a small number of "signature" colors that work together.
Build basic assets (bullets, headers, etc) and use them over and over.
Animation should be subtle - people pick up on more than you think and a
common mistake is to beat them over the head with change.

Edward Tufte talks about "Chart junk" - extraneous lines, elements,
graphics, etc - which detracts from understanding.  The same is true for
applications.  Any visual element that doesn't have a well-defined job
should be dropped.

+) Don't exceed your skills.  You can lift all the professional icons and
canned designs you like but they will ultimately have a strong tendency to
fail when put together with other pieces you'll need to design yourself.

If you can only do stick figures... then do stick figures.  If you're design
sense is stretched by a left nav bar and a content area... then do that.

+) Be consistent. In color scheme, wording, grammar (address) and so forth.
Most "bad" websites are "bad" primarily due to inconsistency.  Determine
(and enforce!) basic rules and variations in content and behavior (for
example "bold items are active" or "all task links are on the left
navigation").

+) Usability ALWAYS wins out over design.  Don't use cramped, tiny text size
because it "looks better" - it doesn't and it's difficult to use.  Don't use
complex graphics which blend into the background for buttons... use buttons.

If you're looking for a GREAT, easy to read book on these principles you
can't go wrong with Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think!".  "The Invisible
Computer" by Donald Norman is also amazingly good... neither talk
specifically about design, but rather about what kind of designs are easiest
to understand.  And "easy" is more important than "pretty" every time.

Jim Davis