What directory server are you using?  Active Directory, Novell, etc?

Why do you need the user's password?  If you need the password, caputure it
when the user logs in.  Once they have successfully logged-in, then you will
know that the password is correct.  Knowing any incorrect passwords is useless.

If you are using AD, don't use two CFLDAP queries.  Just use one and pass the
user's credentials such as:

<cfldap username="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" password="#form.password#"...>

Wrap that in CFTRY/CFCATCH and Bob's your uncle.

However, with your current system, when the second query hangs, have the admins
check the server logs for any possible cause.  Make sure you are using the
correct username syntax: "domain\user" or "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

If your server is AD, the attribute is unicodePwd, however, it's a write-only
attribute.  There should never be a reason to be able to retrieve any password,
let alone an entire directory's listing of passwords.

FInally, don't use a wildcard for attributes for the same reasons you should
not with a SELECT statement on a database.  You will retreive more attributes
than you will probably need; multi-value attributes will not return all values;
some attributes are binary and can be huge.  For example, we have Cisco
voicemail integrated with AD, It adds scores of attributes that you will
probably never need to retrieve.

We need to know your directory server and post some of your code here.

m!ke

  _____