This is sorta off-topic, but the folks here are smarter than some of the
other lists - heh. It *is* a Coldfusion site, so it's not completely
off-topic.

For this month, a particular site has generated an amazingly large
number of HTTP 404 "Document Not Found" errors. 10,621 this month to
date, to be exact.

Looking at the individual errors in the log files, almost every single
file shown as generating the 404 *DOES EXIST*. You can browse right to
them. Most of the 404s are image files - that *do* exist. I can browse
right to them.

Most of the 404 images are being called by a handful of specific
referrer pages. I can go to those specific pages, they load fine, no
errors, no missing files, no nothing. It's all there just like it was
last month, the month before, and six months before that.

Nothing has recently changed on the site.

I'm totally stumped.  Any ideas as to what the heck might be going on here?