There are numerous ways to secure a server. I'm having trouble
envisioning what support for a hardware token would add. Is this
related to preventing people from logging into a Web site unless a
device is plugged into the computer, or is this somehow related to the
process that delivers the raw data to the media?

Plenty of organizations use RSA tokens as a way of providing
second-factor authentication for logging into Web sites. RSA tokens
have been around for a while and they work well, although they can get
expensive.

You could also lock things down by IP address, which is effective,
easy to implement, and essentially free.

-Mike Chabot