From: Robert Harrison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:40 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Flash Remoting and CF

We're developing a data driven site where the front end will run in Flash.
I've written all the admin programs in CF. These handle all the DB updates
and ancillary file management.

Now we've looking at how to run the queries on the display side (flash). I
was expecting the Flash programmer to connect directly to the DB, run
queries from inside flash, and use the data to fill the flash page. I
thought that was Flash Remoting.

The flash programmer, however, wants me to write all the queries in CF
pages. He'll pass data to my CF pages, CF will do the queries, and I'll pass
back these big chunks of XML data (or strings). To me this seems a bit
questionable. If the DB can be queried directly from Flash wouldn't that be
more efficient?

Anyone have an ideas?

        Run queries in CF and pass large data chunks into flash OR
        connect flash to the SQL server (through a web service or something)
and run the queries from there?

Which is right/best?

Thanks,
Robert

Robert B. Harrison
Director of Interactive services
Austin & Williams
125 Kennedy Drive, Suite 100 Hauppauge NY 11788 T : 631.231.6600 Ext. 119 F
: 631.434.7022 www.austin-williams.com

Great advertising can't be either/or... It must be &.