Sounds like there are definite pros and cons to UUID usage.

And, too, this seems to be a case of need driving functionality.
With high traffic sites, I can see the need for various indexes, etc.

My db's will all be relatively small and won't have issues
with high traffic.  I've never even had to use indexes to speed
up db data flow.

Initial impression is that working with UUID's, etc., may prove
to be more effort than it's worth just to save users a step
in adding unlimited photos to, say, a Real Estate property.

Instead of all on one page, using the UUID as a relational key,
I just have the user create the property record, then on the
success confirmation page, offer a link to add photos to the
property.

When updating an existing property, there's no issue since the
user has had to click a link with an id embedded in the URL anyway.

Rick