The TTFB can also be affected if you have a large number of requests that
currently queued--you can see a spike in the TTFB in periods where the
server is queueing lots of requests. This could happen during periods of
Garbage Collection (if you have a lot of JVM memory that needs purging) or
if you just have a bunch of long running tasks (such as file uploads going
on.)

-Dan