On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Jenny Gavin-Wear
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I had a look at Eclipse today .. didn't find it as friendly to use as
>  Dreamweaver, for sure.

That's definitely true. If you are comfortable using DW you don't
necessarily need to change - while there's a lot of enthusiastic
Eclipse advocates on this list, there's lots of people using DW for
coding. And still some HomeSite+ users I'm sure.

>  I ruled out Flex as it produces Flash.

Flex is suited to particular applications or parts of applications -
it's not a replacement for HTML-based web sites by any means.

You said "I'd like to take my coding to the next level, as well become
more structured in the way I code." To me, that sounds like you're
looking for a CF framework: Fusebox, Model-Glue, Mach-ii, ColdBox,
etc. Which one you choose will depend on a number of factors. Do you
use lots of CFCs currently? Are you interested in moving to an
object-oriented coding style? Do you work with a team of coders or by
yourself? etc etc.

http://cfframeworks.com/ might give you some pointers. But other than
that, everyone's going to tell you their framework is the best. I use
Fusebox, for example, so I think it's GREAT. But factors you might
want to consider include the size and activity level of the community
and the number of online resources available, especially tutorials etc
for getting started.

For the record (and because others will no doubt chime in), while
using a framework won't automatically make you write better code,
there's lots of benefits to them which is why there are so many of
them and they're so popular. So good luck!

Cheers,
K.

--
Kay Smoljak