Not to put too fine a point on it... but get good at them.  ;^)

The complex data types (structs, arrays, queries) are exactly how you'd
accomplish this goal.  They're job in life is to create a single
reference/handle/ variable that logically contain multiple values.

I've a guide that covers "CFML Variables" in some detail that you might find
useful in beginning to learn about this stuff here:

http://www.depressedpress.com/Content/Development/ColdFusion/Guides/Variable
s/Index.cfm

It's old (it was written when CFMX first came out) but I think it's still
valid (neither CF 7 or CF 8 changed or added to the core language all that
much).  I should set aside some time to update it...

In any case the basics it covers will still serve you very well.

Definitely post back with any questions you have!

Jim Davis